Thing 4: Blogging Begins with Reading

Before beginning this class, I was not familiar with “blogging” at all. I had heard the term, but never really seen/read any for myself. I ended up reading most of the blogs on the list just because I was curious about the content. Many of the blogs read like journals, a few like letters, some like papers/reports, and others more like articles. It was very interesting to see the many styles of writing. After reading the blogs, I can see how they may be useful learning tools in the classroom (Mrs. Edmison). I look forward to exploring many of these opportunities on my own! 

Blog 1: Why I Don’t Assign Homework

The first sample bog post that I read was fascinating! As a teacher, I always assign homework to reinforce learning. However, I had never truly considered it to be a “waste of time” for the students that already completely understood the new concepts. Although can understand and somewhat agree with what Dan is saying, I believe that the subject and age of the student is also a huge factor. I teach 4th graders. I have some students who can truly self evaluate and understand what they do/don’t understand, but I have many who cannot. If I taught older children, I would definitely embrace Jonathan’s view of homework.

Blog 2: Questions for One of Or Favorite Authors: Grace Lin

I am absolutely blown away by this blog! What a wonderful way to make reading real for your students!!! There have been many times when I have had questions (my own and from students as well) about what an author may have meant in a book. For this class to actually be able to have dialogue with the author must have been amazing! I also clicked on each of the students’ names and they each had their own little “voki”! I am thoroughly impressed with how tech savvy this class is! High Five Mrs. Edmison!!!

Blog 3: Spies Like Us

I can honestly say that this blog was a little disturbing. After reading this, I was happy that I teach 9 year olds! Although most (if not all) of these kids have cell phones, they are left in the bookbags in their lockers. It is way too easy to be filmed and posted on the internet without knowledge and/or consent. I would have to agree with Sue Roseman who stated that “We are to teach as if we are being watched at all times.. lesson learned.” 

Blog 4: Teaching Brevity

As a teacher, you usually give your students a specific length to ensure sufficient information. Typically about 25% of what they come up with will be “fillers”. By making sure that they write more than enough, you can be sure that there will be enough good content to use. It actually seems a little silly when you write it down…

I feel that if your students are able to accurately discern (ALONE–which takes practice) what is “good” content and what is “filler”,  then length requirements should be done away with in your classroom. After all, it’s quality NOT quantity, right?

Blog 5: Why Can’t We Do This?

I originally picked this blog because I recognized the name. Will came and did a seminar for us on a Teacher Work Day earlier this year. It was amazing! Anyway, this was really interesting. We should try things that work for others.  It’s worth a shot, why CAN’T we do this?